My name is John Klann. I am a database administrator, developer, pool enthusiast. I work out of Boston for a small financial company as a DBA. However, this blog and its content are my own. I have a few blogs all of which I have occasionally updated each which kinda fit into their niche. I blog about all of the dev related stuff I am working on, mostly PowerShell at the moment. You will also find my thoughts and opinions on work ethic, project architecture and probably a bunch of other topics.
If would like to get in touch, go ahead and send an email to email@example.com.
I started out at a major security and information management company as a Technical Support Analysts for a small business backup solution. I quickly excelled and ended up promoted to a Senior Technical Support Engineer that mostly dealt with data deduplication and data reclamation. During this time, I started digging into SQL Server, automation and log parsing with various languages. This lead to the next position I took which is where I am at now in Boston as a DBA with a heavy emphasis on the development side of the position focusing on platform management automation and architecting new innovating solutions in both SQL Server and PostgreSQL on Linux with a great team and mentor.
- Computer Science – Obviously.
- Participating in the online and open source communities for the different dev and dba stuff that I have knowledge.
- Pool – I am addicted. I played consistently for three years and thought about playing nearly every day.
- Backpacking and Hiking – I oddly really like to disconnect and spend some time in nature.
- Running – This one is a love-hate relationship.
- Life – New experiences, I like to say I will try most of anything twice.
- Word Origins – I also have a weird list of words I like for no particular reason other than I like to say them.
- Gaming – Mostly FPS like Battlefield.
- Anything that has a learnable pattern to it – so everything!
On the Internet
- JKDBA Blog – My dba blog I am working on getting more content here.
- John Klann dot com Blog – My first blog it has been around for a long time.
- I am sure there is a lot more…
Too Much Information
I started on computers since I was a little kid mostly for playing old games like Load Runner series. As I grew older, my fascination with computers only intensified, and I eventually started getting into web development with the means to learn how to hack a website. Little did I know how long of a road I started down and where it would take me. Anyways I had a friend that got me into building sites. I enjoyed the backend development of it (in PHP at the time). I started to drift away from web development and found Python and then C#. Throughout this period, I worked with different Linux distros mostly Ubuntu, Backtrack and eventually Kali and had my eyes opened again with the immense collective that is computer security.
Although I have drifted away from the security side, it still is one my ultimate computer passions. I like to think I will get back to it one day, however, for the time being, I am happy to explore where my career takes me.
Words to Live By
- “If you are going to be a bear be a grizzly!” – Probably George Hyde Preston, however, I take this from my grandfather who has ingrained this ideal into our family.
- An iteration of this which my mom repeatedly taught is, “If you are going to do something, do it the right the first time.”.
- Change is inevitable, accept it.
- You only go around once, make the most of it.
- If you are not always confused, then you are far too comfortable with your surroundings.
- Never limit yourself or your way of thinking, remain open to all possibilities, however, have a dedicated direction even if it changes frequently.